Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Moved in and settling.

Well, here I am, sitting in my apartment in Florida. It still seems a little odd just saying that.

First, I'll apologize for the lack of pictures, I'm still charging my batteries (literally, not figuratively), so the camera won't be back in business until later tonight. But I wanted to get a post up anyway.

On Tuesday, Jeremy and I (my brother who is also in the program), left pop century and headed over to the Vista Way complex to check in. There we got our welcome package, met a couple other Canadians, and a key to each of our new apartments. We weren't put in an apartment together, but we aren't far.
We ended up at "The Commons" which is only for international rep people, with about 1000 people total.
I helped him move his stuff in, and he helped me move mine.

The apartments are decent, nothing spectacular, a basic dorm style layout, two bedrooms, with two beds each, a common area and a small kitchen. The kitchen has a stove, fridge and dishwasher. The apartments also include a washer and dryer, which is awesome. No dragging my laundry down to some common area for me!

Jeremy met a few of his roommates when he first moved in, while my apartment was empty of people, there were signs directing me to my room and my bed. Later on I met two of my roommates from France, Max and Injen.

After a trip to Wal-Mart (I know, it sucks, but it's really really close... wasn't my choice, I'll probably stick to Target when I can), to buy some necessities, with Robert (Canadian) and Alex (UK). We stopped in at Benny's (Bennigans), which is the place to go for international program members apparently (it's just down the street from us, so it makes sense). I unpacked as much as possible.

The only bad thing, the tv in my apartment is ridiculously small. Like tiny. While I left a beautiful HD tv at home... and my blu-ray player doesn't have a connection for a non-hdtv... grr.

On Wednesday we rose early to start our training. meeting at 8:50 for some Housing meetings, to learn about all the things that can get us terminated, and signing our lives away for a year. I think the Mouse gets my first born now. After a quick lunch at a nearby food court, we went over to the Vista Way to get our Housing ID's made. The picture looks ok, but I still miss my beard.

Then hit up Publix to get some groceries, I was glad to find a decent size "Organic" section, with some vegan options, though expensive, look pretty good. I got some greens, bananas, and pasta and beans. As well as a collection of spices.
Also picked up a pay as you go cell phone, so I have a way of being contacted by others. I'll start passing out my info soon, when I've got some more time.

Tonight, we have the Canadian "Throw-In", which is a meet-and-greet-and-drink with the current Canadians to welcome us to the fold. Should be lots of "Oh Canada" singing and such. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have some pictures to add to the blog.

Ok, that's all for now. Tonight should be a good night, luckily training doesn't start until noon tomorrow.

-Dan

3 comments:

  1. You have a roommate named Injen? Dude, watch yourself. Make sure there aren't any velociraptors or other saurian creatures lurking in your roommate's bedroom. If Injen is working in Dinoland USA, it's gonna be Jurassic Park all over.
    -HotBranch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe, I'll keep my eyes open HB. But I don't think he's anywhere near Dinoland.
    Haven't spent a lot of time with my roommates yet. Seems that people tend to stick to their country people more often than not.

    ReplyDelete