Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Adventure in Orlando - Almost October

Again, much time has past since I last posted. Again, sorry about that.

The past few weeks have been lots of fun. I'm enjoying getting to know the canadians I live and work with more and more. Movie nights are evolving into a fun weekly event, and Games night is always a ton of laughs. I've been here 6 weeks now, and it is flying by pretty quickly. I only get two nights off a week, so a lot of it is spent working.

But one of my personal highlights was venturing up to Orlando to check out a vegan restaurant on my own (would have been nice to share it with somebody, but the veggies I know were all working). So I wrote out my directions and set off in search of Ethos Vegan Kitchen. A short drive west on I-4 and only a couple minutes off the interstate, I found myself in the Antique district of Orlando. It was a really nice area, cool old buildings, and a good vibe. I parked, and found my way to Ethos Vegan Kitchen.

When I entered, I instantly thought of Cafe Aquarius a few years back in Guelph. The cafe small, with tables of various sizes/shapes. A few couches in the back, and a variety different people in and about. I scanned the menu, extremely happy that I could enjoy anything I saw. Sandwiches, Pizzas, Sheep's Pie, Lasagna... so many options, it was a tough decision. After much deliberation, I went with the Dilly Philly - A Seitan Philly "Cheese" steak sandwich on ciabatta roll, with a side of mashed potatoes and gravy.
My goodness, It was delicious. I was very satisfied, and very full by the end. And I can't wait to go back and try some of the other menu items. Hopefully some of the other disney veggies will be able to join me next time.

Also, I took note that Sundays at Ethos is Vegan Brunch time! From 10-3. Unfortunately I work early this coming Sunday, but I will get out there at some point. I love me some vegan brunch. There are many other vegan and vegan friendly restaurants that I need to try, so I'll review them when I get the chance to get out there. So far Ethos is my favourite, but best out of 1 isn't hard to do.

So it's almost October, which means the start of the NHL season, and some events that I'll miss back home. My sisters birthday, and Canadian Thanksgiving. This makes me sad, as both are times I would normally spend with my family. I do miss my family quite a bit, they have always been very supportive of me, and I know they are happy for me being down here, but I'll still miss them.

-Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment